With everything that's going on in the world right now, it's more important than ever that we recommend books to our students that will change the way they look at the world. It's essential that we stimulate the minds of our youth with thought-provoking literature, that will encourage them to think for themselves, about virtues and morals. So we put together this list of great books that every kid should read!
1. Wonder - An uplifting and emotional story about a boy growing up with a facial deformity. Important life lessons for young minds can be found in this book.
2. Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry - Great read about courage, pride, and race.
3. Orwell 1984 - A daunting vision of the future, written in 1949, that forces you to think about serious issues we're facing in the world right now.
4. The Great Gatsby - A classic about the American dream, a lost sense of morality, and a heart-wrenching love story.
5. To Kill a Mockingbird - Regarded as a masterpiece of American Literature, this book takes you on a roller-coaster of human emotions and behavior.
6. The Good Earth - This is a humanistic story filled with tragedy, cultural history, and the perseverance of a peasant Chinese family, that teaches kids powerful lessons about life.
7. The Alchemist - An inspiring story about a sheperd boy who embarks on a journey that reminds you to always follow your heart.
8. The Picture of Dorian Gray - A classic of English literature, this book is a deep exploration of vanity and human cruelty that should be read simply for how eloquently it was written by Oscar Wilde.
9. The Catcher in the Rye - Another classic that every teenage boy enjoys reading.
10. Kite Runner - A story about family, love, friendship, and sacrifice during a devastating time in Afghanistan.
11. The Book Thief - A heart-breaking story set in the pre-WWII Germany that all kids need to read.
12. The Little Prince - A magical exploration of the imagination that every kid (and even adult) loves to read.